Friday, December 17, 2010

Envy

There is a man in Beijing who lives in an egg.

Dai Haifei grew tired of the soaring rents and used his architectural background and (let's be honest) incredible ingenuity to construct a home out of little more than bamboo and grass seed. A solar panel built into the roof powers a small lamp that stands next to his single bed.


I can't stop thinking about his decision to lead a simpler life. 


Often (especially during the holiday season when stores and homes and catalogs are decked out in their opulent finest) I find myself swept away in fantasy and my home-already beautiful-begins to look shabby. I focus on small things like how my throw pillows seem dated and am in turmoil over how I should really have winter drapes. Pottery Barn succeeds in convincing me that my earrings should be kept in a sterling silver monogrammed jewelry box (on a Mahogany dresser) and that my coffee table should be of reclaimed wood and decorated with only a birch candle (and, perhaps, a glass globe filled with sweet green moss and simple white twinkle lights).


In the meantime, many many miles away, there is a man who locks his bike up at night next to his egg. He must experience a Zen similar to the one I tend to find while camping. There, I relax and life is far more easy. We can sweep the tent out and don jeans and sneakers. Dinner over a campfire is delicious and hikes leave my body feeling wonderfully achy. 


I am often embarrassed at my penchant for the fancy. I love fine hotels, spas and meals. I love good clothes and nights out in the city. Sadly though, too much of these indulgences seem to have a dark effect on my confidence. Perhaps I am weak, but I will admit that I begin to compare my lifestyle to everyone else. Who is wearing nicer shoes? Who has the best table in the restaurant? It's like a high school she-is-prettier-than-me jealousy all over again and I lose myself in a tornado whirl of internal chatter. 


Because, surely, the woman with the nicer shoes must be happier. The man and woman staying in the hotel penthouse suite must have a better marriage. The couple with children in matching cable knits and wide wale cords must know the secret to parenting.


Every once in a while, and most often during the holiday season, this skewed thinking haunts my happily-married-mother-of-two thoughts.


And then I become inspired by people who say, simply, fuck it. 
I found a loophole. 
I'm gonna live in an egg.


You don't need winter drapes there, and, anyway Pottery Barn catalogs don't ship to aviary addresses.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love. You.
And I say fuck it all the time...makes life easier ;) Although I do look like an ass 'cause I never have the nice shoes or the nice house, but I don't think twice about it.

Unknown said...

Sara, my dear ... your writing has started to take on the ethos of enlightenment (we should start calling you Gandhi). WOW. You'd better share some rice crispy cheese soon ... we have many things to discuss. This is a very well done piece, btw. You’ve got me yearning again for those barefoot, hand-made bell-bottom days of the summer of 1968 in my old "fuck it" time of life. Good stories to share some time. You’ll LYAO.

Carol said...

Pottery Barn catalogs are the bane of my existence. As you know. I hate them while at the same time conflictingly coveting that amazing piece for the kitchen. And then I remember life in Fairfield County and how I felt when I was living there. And I also remember building homes in New Orleans - simple little box style homes with chain link fence in the yard - and how I felt when I was there. And how I feel living here in New Hampshire. Not in an egg by any stretch of imagination but, at least for me, so very much simpler. A porch. A garden. My hubby. My kids. My grandkids. And all 4 of the boyz. And for me, it is that simple. And yet so very very rich.
I love you my girl. It's that simple.

kate said...

I love that I haven't really felt like that in a long time... well, except today, when we were all talking real estate in my circle I was so horribly embarassed that I live in a terribly small apartment that we can hardly afford when most young people are buying houses or townhouses.


I can honestly say that having my daughter makes being a "have not" quite a joke because I feel like I have everything. She is everything :)

Great post.